The small community of brooking started to pop up in the early 1900's. People started to settle in the area and homestead. With word of the railway coming through, most people arrived. It was known as Stowe, then Buffalo Valley and eventually Brooking. The name Brooking came from Brooking, South Dakota.
>> Video Tour Below <<
The post office opened in 1911 followed by a three-storey hotel, restaurants, blacksmith, barber, barkery, poolroom, livery barn and of course, elevators. There were high hopes for the town but when it was announced that a nearby town was going to become a divisional point, the town fell apart past. Many buildings "accidently" burned down. in 1935 only a few businesses remained. The post office close in 1961 and the Co-op dissolved. The station closed in 1965 and the Pool elevator in 1968.
The town was abandoned.
In 1999, the film "Revenge of the land" used the elevator as part of the set. It was repainted "promise" & ""John Hawke + Co." for the movie. Today, a couple houses remain in the town, but they are in a farmers field. We would normall not visit buildings in the middle of the field but we visited during the winter when it was cold and snowy and there was no planted field. *BEWARE: OPEN WELL ON SITE* The elevator remains but the small shed beside the elevator was destroyed in a recent wind storm.
Copyright saskabandoned 2021
All photos taken by @vanishedcompass and @saskurbex